Sunday, April 22, 2018

Resurrection morning is coming

18 long years have come and gone since the day my daddy took his last breaths.  We had talked before he died about the Lord's soon return.  As I sit here listening to a record, yes a record, but it's on Youtube, of George Beverly Shea singing ,"The King is Coming!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v35yVIL5Q  I know that THE King IS COMING and it is so much sooner than any might expect!  The enemy of our souls continues to attack me.  Last night was no exception.  I had awakened just before 2am to see if I could see the meteor shower but it was too cloudy so I went back to bed and prayed for everyone I know until I fell back asleep.  But, back to that fateful day 18 years ago; It was a Sabbath, the 22 of 2000.  I wrote this that morning about my step mother:

My hollow eyes have seen
The misery that awaits us all
Death in all its horror
Life is but a dream.
Where is the value in life?
I've seen it in her saddened eyes
So tender, so kind, so loving,
That's what it's all about.

Since it was Easter that weekend, I knew that the Sabbath sermon would be about the resurrection.  Imagine sitting through a sermon on the resurrection knowing that your dad was laying dying!  Yes there is hope of the resurrection because Jesus died and rose for us.  Such a hopeful message, not on the typical Jesus' resurrection but on the resurrection of Lazarus.  I just cried through the whole thing!  After service my step sister and her husband distracted me some by going mushroom hunting, morel hunting season was in full swing.  But then we got the call, come home NOW!  It won't be long now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBrVyeUxDBc Heritage singers, "It won't be long" 9:25pm Nurse pronounces daddy gone.  Asleep peacefully, the long turmoil over, rest now till Jesus comes. Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment